Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Farewell To The Bar Nothing Ranch

I haven't been posting much lately, and won't be for a few days more. Di and I are in the process of moving from the "Bar Nothing Ranch" to our new home in Corpus Christi, Texas, on the Gulf of Mexico.

This move has been in the discussion stage for several months aince it became clear my
deteriorating physical condition would eventually make it impossible for us to maintain the property (try keeping 5+ acres of clear-cut horse pasture in grazing shape!). I also need to be closer now to hospitals and other medical facilities; each trip to my oncologist in Austin is an 80 mile round-trip, and that gets tiresome really quickly.

We were initially thinking of moving to San Antonio. But that's where Di's younger sister died from bone cancer and so that city has too many unpleasant memories for her-----Di didn't want to have to take me to some of the same medical facilities where she took her sister, and I understand that fully. We started looking around for another place, and after a couple of trips there we settled on "Corpus."

We'll have a two-story townhouse about a mile from Corpus Christi Bay; it has three bedrooms and three baths, so it will be plenty large for two people. Corpus has a population of about 250,000, with all the basic amenities I need. My new oncologists, Coastal Bend Cancer Center, are affiliated with the M. D. Anderson Center and follow the "Anderson protocols" in treatment so I won't miss a beat. There are some great beaches in the area, especially Padre Island National Seashore, and I'm looking forward to living near the water again. I was born by the ocean in Warwick, Virginia, and the places I have most enjoyed living in-----New York City, San Diego, and Alameda Island in the San Francisco Bay-----have been by the water. The offices of HighText/LLH were in Solana Beach, CA, and I enjoyed the "executive meetings" Carol, Jack, and I had on the sand there at Fletcher Cove. It's only natural for the last part of my life to be spent at the shore!

Corpus Christi is on approximately the same latitude as Tampa, Florida, so it's warm there almost all the time. It has some un-Texan things-----like palm and orange trees-----along with some of the usual things, like oil wells. We'll also be about 100 miles north of the Mexican border. There are two large and active synagogues there as well, and I'm glad Di will again have a local Jewish community to participate in.

The only real downer is having to give up our horses, Dubya and Buck. Fortunately, we have found marvelous new owners who are taking both and keeping them together, this time on over 120 acres! Di and I both will really miss them, but it's a relief to know both will be well taken care of in the future.

I won't be posting for about another ten days until I get settled into our new home. I'm excited about this new phase of our lives!