Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Slice And Dice Time Again

At 8:00 am tomorrow, I'm scheduled to undergo surgery in Austin to remove a new cancerous lymph node and surrounding tissue. Depending on how much of me is sliced away, I could be home tomorrow night or hospitalized until Sunday. (Ah, the joys of having your fate entirely out of your hands!) At least I'll come home with some painkillers that would make Elvis green with envy, so my posts next week should be more entertaining than usual.

This new operation is actually routine as far as cancers go. Once cancer gets into the lymphatic system-----as mine has----you're going to be putting out "brush fires" like this for as long as you live. At least that golf ball-sized tumor on my liver is sleeping peacefully for the moment, so things could be a lot worse. . . . . . a lot worse. I'm feeling no pain, my weight has stabilized, and I'm again able to do things like stack bales of hay five-high in our horse barn. And Di is being a rock for me; I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have her in my life.

And this is for all my relatives back in South Carolina: if you really love me, you won't let Hillary beat Obama. I'm depending on all of you.