Friday, February 13, 2009

Five Years!!


Today is the fifth wedding anniversary for me and Di. We did the deed on February 13, 2004 at the Little Church of the West in Las Vegas. As I never tire of pointing out, that was where Elvis married Ann-Margaret at the end of Viva Las Vegas. It was a surprisingly dignified ceremony for Las Vegas. Di chose We've Only Just Begun by the Carpenters to be played while I, of course, selected Johnny Cash's Hurt.

I promised Di last year that I would be around for our fifth anniversary, and I kept that promise. But I know I won't be around for number six. However, I do promise to treasure her every day that I do have left. Di has been an enormous source of joy over the past five years. During my illness, she has been courageous, loyal, kind, and encouraging; there were times when I wanted to simply quit but she kept me moving forward and fighting back. It is no exaggeration whatsoever to say that without her I wouldn't still be alive to write these words.

Thank you, Di. I love you!