Monday, December 10, 2007

Better News Than I Expected

I underwent a battery of tests last week, including a CT scan, and today my oncologist shared the good news with me: I have a lymph node in my groin that is apparently cancerous and will need to be removed.

And I wasn't being sarcastic when I termed that "good news." The big mutha I'm concerned about, the inoperable tumor on my liver, hasn't grown at all since July. The lymph node can be removed in an outpatient procedure and the presence of a new cancerous lymph mode is no surprise----I've had four others removed so far. The fact the liver tumor is now quiescent, after its rapid growth in late 2006 and the first half of 2007, means the odds now favor me making it all the way through 2008, and the onset of complications may now be pushed back into the second half of 2008.

At this point, I'll gladly take whatever breaks I can get, and the news today is probably the best Christmas present I'll get this year.